Early 1990s excavations in the surroundings of Rettig Palace in Turku centre unveiled an archaeological landscape of pre-industrial, partly medieval stone houses, today permanently attainable in the Aboa Vetus archaeological museum. This paper examines the building remains and dwellers through archival records from early 17th century until the ruinous town fire of 1827. The study reveals that from the 18th century onward historical documents can significantly complement – but not substitute for – archeological data. Even the more obscure 17th-century records may unfold individual events that solely archaeological dissection leaves unexplained. The wider intention of the paper is to delineate the role of historical records and methods in Finnish town archaeology.
|Number of pages||28|
|Publication status||Published - 2011|
|MoE publication type||B1 Article in a scientific magazine|