MRI with cardiac pacing devices - Safety in clinical practice

Touko Kaasalainen*, Sami Pakarinen, Sari Kivistö, Miia Holmström, Helena Hänninen, Juha Peltonen, Kirsi Lauerma, Outi Sipilä

*Corresponding author for this work

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticleScientificpeer-review

    18 Citations (Scopus)

    Abstract

    Objectives The aim of this study was to introduce a single centre "real life" experience of performing MRI examinations in clinical practice on patients with cardiac pacemaker systems. Additionally, we aimed to evaluate the safety of using a dedicated safety protocol for these patients. Materials and methods We used a 1.5 T MRI scanner to conduct 68 MRI scans of different body regions in patients with pacing systems. Of the cardiac devices, 32% were MR-conditional, whereas the remaining 68% were MR-unsafe. We recorded the functional parameters of the devices prior, immediately after, and approximately one month after the MRI scanning, and compared the device parameters to the baseline values. Results All MRI examinations were completed safely, and each device could be interrogated normally following the MRI. We observed no changes in the programmed parameters of the devices. For most of the participants, the distributions of the immediate and one-month changes in the device parameters were within 20% of the baseline values, although some changes approached clinically important thresholds. Furthermore, we observed no differences in the variable changes between MR-conditional and MR-unsafe pacing systems, or between scans of the thorax area and other scanned areas. Conclusion MRI in patients with MR-conditional pacing systems and selected MR-unsafe systems could be performed safely under strict conditions in this study.

    Original languageEnglish
    Pages (from-to)1387-1395
    Number of pages9
    JournalEUROPEAN JOURNAL OF RADIOLOGY
    Volume83
    Issue number8
    DOIs
    Publication statusPublished - 2014
    MoE publication typeA1 Journal article-refereed

    Keywords

    • Cardiac pacemaker
    • Magnetic resonance imaging
    • Safety protocol

    Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'MRI with cardiac pacing devices - Safety in clinical practice'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this