Our society and cities face challenges to improve safety, energy efficiency, air quality, effectivity of transportation and quality of living.
Current situation in digitalization of cities:
1) Mobile networks small cells have been a challenge for mobile operators because the site cost and backhaul transport cost have been too expensive.
2) City infrastructure planning and managing tools are quite automated, but the cellular networks are not yet included to those.
3) Smart lighting solutions for streets are already available from Finnish companies, but the control network has not been standardized.
4) New environmental regulations are expecting selective glasses for new buildings. Indoor penetration for mobile networks will be limited and even blocked.
5) Smart city digital street level ecosystem is limited while good enough common data transport network doesn´t exist.
LuxTurrim5G project will solve current digital ecosystem challenges with the following actions: A new lamp post with 5G capability for small cells is developed. Small cells will enable over 10Gbit/s traffic and below 1ms latency for street level outdoor and indoor using propagation through new selective glasses. New 5G lamp post includes also the data transport from access points to core network. Transport is done by fiber, meshed wireless self-backhaul or dedicated backhaul. Open interfaces for service platforms of operators, micro-operators and vertical industries are developed. The interfaces enable to use a single 5G network for all different services and providers in relevant smart city and 5G mobile network applications. A couple of service examples are developed to test the platform and enable early market opportunity for participating companies: imaging (surveillance cameras), climate analysis, location (sensors), info sharing (active screens) and smart lighting control. New business models and ecosystem build up practices will be studied for street level network and related services.